Monday 3 June 2013

Being a Rope Top/Rigger and Sexism?

I am very aware that sexism exists, inside and out of the BDSM community. Such is the way of the world, although things are changing and improving (slowly), sexism is alive and well, and up here in Northern BC it is thriving.
As a RWV (Rigger With Vagina) I really expected to be on the receiving end of sexist remarks and attitude. I started a local rope group, expecting offers to be tied up, rather than volunteers to let me tie them. I went to Ropegasm with my Sir as my practice bunny, I did not advertise for a bunny for the event because I assumed that no one would agree to go with a RWV with little experience. In my defense we went with another couple and my Sir did volunteer to let me practice on him. What good little submissive doesn't jump on that?
Seriously though.
As a Rope Top/Rigger who happens to have a Vagina, sexism can work in my favor though. I am NEVER short bunnies. I get to not only tie my bunnies, but make them squeal, squeak and purr. I have male and female bunnies. Some very shy ladies have let me tie them. I have tied gals who are homophobic (to varying degrees). I have done sexy dirty ties and very sterile ties. I tie myself, my friends, my teddies, my pillow, my jacket, my Sir, and once tried to tie the cat (he IS a sexist jerk and won't let me)
The only sexism I run across is stray pm's from men who assume that because I have a vagina my rigging is just a way for me to get some dick. Surely I use rope so that I can have some man I never met hump my leg, right? Or as one guy put it, "At least be naked when you tie me, or what's the point?"
No one asks me what Man Taught Me to use rope. No one assumes that my very non rope Sir is in charge of my rope scenes. No one has messaged me asking what REAL Rigger did the work in this pic or that. No one has made me feel unwelcome when I rig in the dungeon.
Not saying that sexism in all things Rigging is not out there-just that I have not run across the things I have heard other RWV (Riggers with Vaginas) talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment